The Song Journal

Miscellaneous news and writing by Bob Franke, mostly about songs as a portable art form, and the process of creating them and enabling them to do their work in the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peabody, Massachusetts, United States

from www.bobfranke.com: Bob Franke began his career as a singer-songwriter in 1965 while a student at the University of Michigan. Upon graduation in 1969 with an A.B. in English Literature, he moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts, and has since made New England his home. Bob has appeared in concert at coffeehouses, colleges, festivals, bars, streets, homes and churches in 33 states, four Canadian provinces and England.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Midnight process

I started a new song last night, my first since "Day of the Dead". It may turn into something, and I think it will be fun to sing. I owe it to my audience. But this process never gets easier.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Subversive Librarian said...

The process of writing is hard, I agree -- but why do you think you owe it to your audience to write? Of course, we're always happy to hear new music from you, but personally, I'd hate to think you're writing out of obligation to us when maybe you need to be doing something else instead. I figure we’ve already heard so many wonderful things from you that if you ever owed us anything (and I don’t think you did) you’ve paid us in full – and then some!

I’m a ghost writer, a “hired pen” – I write what people pay me to write and then, if I have the time, I write for myself. I have no fan base, so I confess I don’t know what it’s like to have people waiting for me to write my own stuff. If I’ve misinterpreted your entry, or failed to understand, please forgive me!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I thought they all came to you in a dream, or through the collective unconscious - or was that just "The Great Storm Is Over"? Looking forward to seeing you at Passim - and hoping this new song is in the set.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home